What is a Princesse Pearl necklace, you ask? Quite simply put, it is a pearl necklace that you have to create over time. You begin by purchasing a white or yellow gold starter necklace. Then, over time, you buy additional pearls to add to the necklace until it is a complete pearl necklace.
Why would someone start a Princesse Pearl necklace?
Now that you know basically what a Princesse Pearl necklace is...why would someone buy a necklace that requires so much work to complete? The answer is actually very simple:
1. The pearls themselves are the finest quality of pearl. You will never find substandard pearls in the Princesse collection. This means the quality will remain constant throughout the years as you buy it, guaranteeing you end with an heirloom quality strand of pearls.
2. You control the final look of the necklace. Whether you choose to have all the pearls the same size or whether you wish to graduate them, the choice is yours. Either way, you will have created a customized necklace for your loved one.
3. Tradition. Many families now are seeing third and fourth generation girls receiving Princesse Pearls from their grandmothers, as their mothers and their mother's mother did before them. This is a great way to share with each other and to create a shared experience each will remember for the rest of their lives.
4. Value over time. As stated earlier, these pearls are of the finest quality. That means when the strand is complete, it will be of the finest quality as well. This allows guests to own an exceptional pearl necklace with the ability to spread the cost out over years.
It is rather easy to start a necklace, as Princesse Pearl provides multiple starter choices. Whether you wish to start with one pearl or 3 to 7, they will have the size you need. In addition, they also will create a custom starter for you with the size(s) and quantity of pearls you would like. To determine which is right for you, consider these questions:
1. Do you wish it to be graduated or all one size? Most people opt for the single size of pearls on a strand. However, if you want the strand to have a little more design to it, perhaps a graduated one is for you.
2. How many will it take to complete it? Once you know what size you want, it is best to consider how many it will take to complete the necklace. Your jeweler can estimate this for you based on the final length you wish to achieve. This will help you budget how many per year you will need to get to make sure it is completed within the time you would like. Remember: The smaller they are, the more you will need. For an 18" 5.5-6 mm necklace, you will use between 60-70 pearls.
3. Will you have help available to complete it? If other family members are willing to help (and you are willing to let them), you will want to consider this in your budget of time to completion. Sometimes, enlisting aid will be a great way to get the family involved in a very special gift for a loved one.
4. When do you expect to complete it? Many people fail to think this one through....and it is really the most important question of the bunch. It is best to set a deadline, though it is years in the future, so it will be complete when you want to gift it. Some important dates that are used: 16th, 18th, and 21st birthdays.
Whatever you decide, with care and thought, you will be giving a gift that will not only have great value, but will also be cherished for her lifetime.
This is the easiest part!! Day's carries all sizes of the Princesse Pearls from 3.5 mm to 7.5 mm in each store year round. You can always find the one you need. No need to bring the necklace in each time either. Day's will keep your starter necklace purchase on file forever...we will always know which ones you need and are ready to provide it! In addition to that, Day's will add them on at no charge when you purchase the necklace and additional pearls here. All you need to do is come in and tell us how many you need. What could be easier?
Princesse Pearl necklaces are a great way to build memories and traditions in a family. Few other pieces of jewelry can boast the sentiment of a strand of pearls chosen by hand. What better gift is there to give a daughter or granddaughter?